The HHS Office for Civil Rights administers the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules. The HIPAA Privacy Rule describes protected health information and how protected information can be used and disclosed. The HIPAA Security Rule describes what is covered by the HIPAA privacy protections and the safeguards, which must be in place to ensure appropriate protection of electronically protected health information. As you reflect on the Privacy and Confidentiality Scenario, consider the following points, and write a proposal addressing privacy issues:
- Identify the issues related to patient privacy and confidentiality in this scenario.
- Describe strategies your organization (or one with which you are familiar) might use to safeguard patient information from the use of mobile devices.
- Discuss the use of mobile devices for patient care in your organization (or one with which you are familiar) and any organizational policies related to mobile devices. Specifically, address the use of text messages to communicate patient care information and explain what happens to a message after it is sent.
- Analyze your personal strategies used to protect patient health information on mobile devices.
- Do your personal strategies adequately protect the information in a patient care setting?
- Provide examples of alternate or additional methods that could be used to ensure patient privacy and confidentiality is maintained.
Issues Related To Patients Privacy And Confidentiality
The safety and security of patients has been tampered with by the widespread introduction of electronic healthcare information systems. This system carries with it problems such as discrepancies in regulations. Legislations such as HIPAA and the Act on HITECH. This law removes people from their HIPAA-covered insurance records that they are not always happy with (Braun, Vance & Alexander, 2015).
Another important problem facing privacy and confidentiality is the loss of patient interest. Lack of patient faith can lead to negative health outcomes. This arises because patients dread the revealing of important details that could have serious implications.
A situation such as a young person suffering from sexually transmitted diseases and worrying about obtaining medical treatment because he/she fears being punished can lead to a decline in their health. Another situation that primarily happens in the health sector concerns the exchange of private medical information by naïve healthcare staff.
For a complete answer sheet fill the order form.